22 October 1836
On this date in 22 October 1836...
Sam Houston was inaugurated as the first president of the Republic of Texas.
- 1752 - A hurricane struck the Florida coast and claimed at least 12 ships including a Spanish man-of-war.
- 1862 - Confederate troops reconquered the Cumberland Gap in Tennessee.
- 1934 - FBI agent Melvin Purvis killed Oklahoma bank robber Charles Arthur "Pretty Boy" Floyd in an apple orchard near East Liverpool, Ohio.
- 1962 - President Kennedy announced an air and naval blockade of Cuba, following the discovery of Soviet missile bases on the island.
- 1983 - At the Augusta National Golf Course in Georgia, an armed man crashed a truck through the gates and demanded to speak with U.S. President Ronald Reagan.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved