16 October 1859
On this date in 1859...
John Brown and 21 armed northern terrorists took 60 hostages and seized the federal arsenal at Harper's Ferry, Virginia.
- 1925 - The Texas State School Board prohibited the teaching of evolution.
- 1954 - Elvis Presley first appeared on the Louisiana Hayride show in Shreveport, Louisiana.
- 1957 - Queen Elizabeth & Prince Philip visited Williamsburg, Virginia.
- 1987 - After a 58 hour ordeal, rescuers freed Jessica McClure from the abandoned well that she had fallen into in Midland, Texas.
- 1991 - George Jo Hennard, age 35, killed 23 people then himself & wounded 20 others at a Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen, Texas.
- 1997 - Charles Schulz and his wife Jeannie announced that they would give $1 million toward the construction of a D-Day memorial to be placed in Virginia.
- 2002 - The Arthur Andersen accounting firm was sentenced to five years probation and fined $500,000 for obstructing a federal investigation of the energy company Enron.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved