31 October 1861
|The St. Louis Secession Flag|
On this date in 1861...
Missouri Governor Claiborne Fox Jackson signed the Missouri Ordinance of Secession in Neosho, Missouri since the Missouri’s capital, Jefferson City, had already been occupied by Federal invaders and troops raised from recent German socialist immigrants.
- 1860 - Juliette Gordon Low, the founder off the Girl Scouts, was born in Savannah, Georgia.
- 1961 – A federal judge ruled that Birmingham, Alabama, laws against integrated playing fields were illegal.
- 1969 - Wal-Mart Discount City stores were incorporated in Bentonville, Arkansas.
- 1969 – A race riot erupted in Jacksonville, Florida.
- 2002 - A federal grand jury in Houston, Texas formally indicted former Enron Corporation chief financial officer Andrew Fastow on 78 counts of wire fraud, money laundering, conspiracy and obstruction of justice related to the company’s collapse.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved