5 October 1863
On this date in 1863...
The C.S.S. David, a Confederate torpedo boat exploded a spar torpedo, damaging the U.S.S. New Ironsides in Charleston Harbor, South Carolina.
- 1862 - A Federal fleet occupied Galveston, Texas.
- 1864 - The Battle of Allatoona Pass, Georgia.
- 1947 - U.S. President Harry S Truman of Missouri held the first televised presidential address from the White House.
- 1969 - A Cuban defector landed a Soviet-made MiG-17 at Homestead Air Force Base in Florida after the plane entered U.S. air space and landed without being detected.
- 1988 - In a debate between candidates for vice president of Texas Democrat Lloyd Bentsen told Republican Dan Quayle, "You're no Jack Kennedy."
- 2006 - Walmart rolled out its $4 generic drug program to the entire state of Florida after a successful test in the Tampa area.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved