27 October 1702
On this date in 1702...
- 1787 - The first of the Federalist Papers supporting ratification of the U.S. Constitution was published.
- 1810 - U.S. President James Madison signed the law that annexed the Republic of West Florida as U.S. Territory.
- 1838 - Missouri governor Lilburn Boggs issued the Extermination Order, which orders all Mormons to leave the state or be exterminated.
- 1864 - Federal troops attacked the South Side Railroad at Petersburg, Virginia.
- 1962 - The Soviet Union adds to the Cuban Missile Crisis by calling for the dismantling of U.S. missile basis in Turkey.
- 1981 - Andrew Young, former UN Ambassador, was elected mayor of Atlanta, Georgia.
- 2002 - Floridan Emmitt Smith, playing for the Dallas Cowboys, became the all-time leading rusher in the NFL when he extended his career yardage to 16,743 also scoring his 150th career touchdown.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved