9 November 1825
On this date in 1825...
Confederate General Ambrose Powell "A.P." Hill was born in Culpepper, Virginia.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
- 1813 - General Ferdinand Claiborne led a large force of Mississippi volunteers to fight the Creeks. Entering Choctaw lands, a large contingent of Choctaws led by Chief Pushmataha, joined the force.
- 1851 - Kentucky marshals abducted abolitionist Calvin Fairbank from Jeffersonville, Indiana, and took him to Kentucky for trial on stealing slaves.
- 1924 - Miriam (Ma) Ferguson was elected as the first elected woman governor of Texas.
- 1967 - A Saturn V rocket carrying an unmanned Apollo spacecraft blasted off from Cape Canaveral, Florida on a successful test flight.
- 1984 - A bronze statue titled "Three Servicemen," by Frederick Hart, was unveiled at the site of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, DC.
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved