7 November 1918
On this date in 1918...
Evangelist Billy Graham was born at Charlotte, North Carolina.
- 1794 - After a year of raids by Americans and Chickamaugas, Tennessee Governor William Blount meets with Cherokee and the offshoot Chickamauga Chiefs at the Tellico Blockhouse. Forty Chiefs are present and agree to peace as well as prisoner exchange.
- 1861 - Confederate General and Episcopalian Bishop Leonidas Polk gave Ulysses Grant his first bloody nose at the Battle of Belmont, Missouri.
- 1909 – The Knights of St Peter Claver was founded in Mobile, Alabama.
- 1922 – Called the Greatest Horn in the World, jazz trumpeter Al Hirt was born in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- 1970 – Racially motivated riots occurred in Daytona Beach, Florida.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved