12 November 1861
On this date in 1861...
The Fingal, a blockade-runner bought in England, was one of the first to arrive with military supplies in Savannah harbor.
- 1799 - Andrew Ellicott made the first recorded U.S. meteor shower observation from a ship off the Florida Keys
- 1928 – The British steamship "Vestris" capsized & sank off the Virginia coast, killing 110.
- 1968 – In the case Epperson v. Arkansas the U.S. Supreme Court declared an Arkansas law banning the teaching of evolution in public schools unconstitutional.
- 1972 - Don Shula, coach of the Miami Dolphins, became the first NFL head coach to win 100 regular season games in 10 seasons.
- 1985 - In Norfolk, Virginia, Arthur James Walker was sentenced to life in prison for his role in a spy ring run by his brother, John A. Walker Jr.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved