1 November 1861
On this date in 1861...
Confederate General John B. Floyd's troops attacked federals under Rosecrans at Gauley Bridge, Virginia.
- 1770 - Spanish troops and Opata Indians on an expedition to punish Apaches on the Pecos River in Texas reached their target village only to find it evacuated ahead of their approach.
- 1834 – Poker was first mentioned in print as a Mississippi riverboat game.
- 1859 - The current Cape Lookout, North Carolina, lighthouse was lit for the first time.
- 1951 – The first atomic test explosion was witnessed by troops who were unwitting test subjects in New Mexico.
- 1979 – The tanker Burmah Agate spilled 10.7 million gallons of oil off Galveston Bay, Texas, in the worst U.S. oil spill to date.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved