6 November 1861
On this date in 1861...
Confederate States voters went to the polls to elect their official leaders to replace the provisional government. Jefferson Davis was elected as the first president of the Confederate States of America.
- 1528 - Shipwrecked Spanish conquistador Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca becomes the first known European to set foot in Texas.
- 1864 - Kit Carson, at the head troops, left Fort Bascom, in western New Mexico for the Texas panhandle to punish the Kiowa and Comanche.
- 1865 - The C.S.S. Shenandoah struck her colors in Liverpool, England. Her crew was the last active Confederate military force to fly the Confederate flag.
- 1977 - 39 people were killed when an earthen dam burst, sending a wall of water through the campus of Toccoa Falls Bible College in Georgia.
- 1985 – An exploratory well in Ranger, Texas blew out, spilling 150,000 barrels of crude oil.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved