2 December 2001
On this date in 2001...
Wall Street darling and Texas money-pit, Enron, filed for bankruptcy devouring millions of innocent investors' dollars through mismanagement.
- 1761 – The British government decreed that there would be no land grants made for Indian land in British territories without the Crown's approval.
- 1823 - U.S. President James Monroe of Virginia presented his doctrine preventing further European expansion in the Western Hemisphere.
- 1861 - The C.S.S. Patrick Henry was damaged in a two hour battle with Federal gunboats at Newport News, Virginia.
- 1972 - The December Giant, the largest sinkhole in the U.S. collapsed measuring as much as 425 ft. across and 150 ft. deep near Montevallo, Alabama.
- 1990 - The Mid-South prepared for a massive earthquake on the New Madrid seismic zone erroneously predicted by Iben Browning.
- 1993 - The space shuttle Endeavor blasted off from Cape Canaveral, Florida on a mission to fix the Hubble Space Telescope.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved