7 January 1608
On this date in 1608...
Fire destroyed almost all of Jamestown, Virginia. The destruction was a serious blow to the morale of the settlers and almost doomed the colony.
- 1806 - Black Fox, the Principal Chief of the Cherokee, signed a treaty that would cede almost 7,000 square miles, in Tennessee and Alabama including the Great Island of the Holston River. Most Cherokee repudiate the treaty.
- 1861 - The Alabama Secession Convention convened in Montgomery, Alabama.
- 1861 - The Mississippi Secession Convention convened in Jackson, Mississippi.
- 1861 - Florida state troops seized Fort Marion at St. Augustine.
- 1868 – Arkansas’ reconstruction constitutional convention met in Little Rock, Arkansas.
- 1868 – Mississippi’s reconstruction constitutional convention met in Jackson, Mississippi.
- 1892 – A Mine explosion killed 100 people in Krebs, Oklahoma. Blacks trying to help rescue white survivors were driven away by armed mine security.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved