16 January 1935
On this date in 1935...
FBI agents killed Missouri gangsters Fred and Ma Barker at their hideout in Lake Weir, Florida.
- 1825 - Confederate General George Pickett was born in Richmond, Virginia.
- 1831 - Mushulatubbe declared he would resign as Chief of the Choctaw when removal to Indian Territory started. He recommended that Peter Pitchlynn as his replacement.
- 1871 - Jefferson Long of Georgia was sworn in as the second black U.S. Congressman during reconstruction.
- 1919 - The 18th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution,prohibiting the sale or transportation of alcoholic beverages, was ratified.
- 1920 - Prohibition went into effect in the U.S.
- 1991 - The White House announced the start of Operation Desert Storm to drive invading Iraqi forces from Kuwait during the undeclared First Persian Gulf War.
- 1998 - The first woman to enroll at Virginia Military Institute withdrew from school.
- 1998 - It was announced that Texas would receive $15.3 billion in a tobacco industry settlement with payouts planned over 25 years.
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved