18 January 1983
On this date in 1983...
Jim Thorpe's two confiscated Olympic gold medals from the 1912 Stockholm pentathlon and decathlon were returned to his heirs.
- 1803 - Thomas Jefferson by secret communication with Congress sought authorization for the first official exploratory expedition by the U.S. government.
- 1862 - The Confederate Territory of Arizona was formed
- 1916 - A 611 gram chondrite-type meteorite struck a house near the village of Baxter in Stone County, Missouri.
- 1939 - Louis Armstrong and his orchestra recorded "Jeepers Creepers."
- 1981 – Phil Smith and Phil Mayfield parachuted off a Houston skyscraper, becoming the first two people to BASE jump from objects in all four categories
- 1990 – Washington, D.C. Mayor Marion Barry was arrested for drug possession in an FBI sting
Read: Why Know Southern History?
© 2016 Grey Hand Media
All Rights Reserved